- Anyone have lunch and dinner recommendations for Bangkok?! Much appreciated! Will be there next Saturday, so only have one day to indulge! #
- Japanese Pranking is Awesome http://t.co/gRrCXWv8 #
- 刚看完了Obama的演讲，他没有让我失望，刚已圈钱了！#obama2012 #
- @Jane_Paris will be in Thailand until the 25th! Oh no! #
- Weekly Twitter Updates http://t.co/Bcv3Knap #
OK so this just adds to my intense desire to visit Japan and live amongst these wonderfully demented aliens that take everything in the world and make them CRAZY!
Apparently there is no such thing as litigation in Japan, because if an enterprising TV producer in the US ever tried to pull this off, he’d be sued up the wazoo.
- Batman in Shanghai http://t.co/otwlwCAp #
- Back to Shanghai! (@ 2号航站楼 (T2) w/ 2 others) http://t.co/NB7fRe6f #
- Commercial shoot for L'oreal! (@ Arrow Studio – Beijing w/ 2 others) [pic]: http://t.co/or745Iqu #
- I'm at 2号航站楼 (T2) (北京) http://t.co/OMRtMTCD #
- I'm at Shanghai Hongqiao Int'l Airport T2 (上海) http://t.co/ySjHeOyF #
- Weekly Twitter Updates http://t.co/LclzeM9c #
Just came across the impressive re-imagining of Batman, Catwoman, and Bane in based in 1930’s Shanghai. I was more surprised to learn that this was created for the Cartoon Network’s DC Nation series by a local Shanghai animation studio named Wolf Smoke.
This is the kind of stuff that excites me: local artists merging the worlds of anime and comic books into something wonderful and uniquely Chinese. This is the stuff that’ll get the nascent but fast-developing Chinese animation industry noticed by the people who actually matter: the rest of the world.
And hopefully washes away some of the nasty taste that comes from stuff like this!
- New, faster Facebook app + Great Firewall of China = still damn slow! #
- Take a chill pill, cat! http://t.co/GUzwjf0k #
- Birthday cake controller http://t.co/LFRiJnlJ #
- There are people out there getting paid full-time to write fantasy sports analyses. Think about that #idiocracy #
- Wish we could spend some of our owners' money on buying some runs against these damn Giants #dodgers #cannotscore #
- 腾讯太丢中国的脸了！怎么可以那么大胆的偷别人努力做出来的功劳呢？要当国际公司要有国际公司的水准。#腾讯丢脸 http://t.co/qaWmKnBN #
- "They have steamed rice rolls with shrimp are amazing. They stick…" @ Ming Court, The Langham Xintiandi: http://t.co/T66JkdRv #foursquare #
- I'm at Ming Court, The Langham Xintiandi (Shanghai) http://t.co/YfXayCc5 #
- Weekly Twitter Updates http://t.co/a8mP4669 #
- I prepared a bunch of heavy reading on my iPad for my flight today, but I'll most likely be playing Ski Safari for 5 straight hours. #
- 高雄機場怎麼需要排那麼長的隊? @ 高雄小港國際機場 http://t.co/ym2p36mF #
- I just ousted @steph_2410 as the mayor of Forte Orange Hotel on @foursquare! http://t.co/LCy4hdL0 #
- Chinese Studio Blatantly Copies Foreign Indie Game, Developers Pissed http://t.co/DMe3qJLW via @zite #
- thesulk: I have no equal. Everyone's better than me. http://t.co/ODxIPodc #
- I just ousted Anya K. as the mayor of 鸟安 | Toriyasu | 鳥やす on @foursquare! http://t.co/6KCNXU7y #
- Weekly Twitter Updates http://t.co/quJWKVUs #
- Anyone interested in a freelance copywriting (English) gig, please let me know, friend is looking #
- I'm at Mokkos Bar (Shanghai, China) http://t.co/qMqwci3e #
- I'm at 鸟安 | Toriyasu | 鳥やす (上海) http://t.co/SVGvpV0m #
- Weird, Adam Sandler is in 5 of my top 10 greatest films of all time. Thought there'd be more #sightsoundpoll #
- Today the only top ten movie list that matters will be announced via live tweet @SightSoundmag. Once every 10 years! #sightsoundpoll #
- Why Do the Chinese Copy So Much? http://t.co/0FlRsQkZ #
- .@ling8 is in town! (@ Xindalu 新大陆) http://t.co/XqMuC2CT #
- Weekly Twitter Updates http://t.co/SE8HZ8Vk #
- Weekly Twitter Updates http://t.co/8bRA6al7 #
The IHT Rendezvous blog has a post about a fake Austrian town somewhere in the outskirts of Guangdong province:
Perhaps the language is a reason why: you cannot learn Chinese unless you spend years memorizing thousands of characters needed to achieve literacy, unless you copy, single-mindedly, unquestioningly. Some linguists and cultural historians believe so much mental energy and brain space is taken up by rote learning of the language, that little is left over for innovative thinking.
I think this theory has some currency. Creativity needs to be nurtured and cultivated and practiced. It’s a muscle that can’t be neglected. And in a country of 1.4 billion, it’s exponentially harder than elsewhere for truly innovative ideas to bubble up to the top and gain and audience of influencers.
However, I think that’s only part of the story. The more appropriate question should be, “Why do the Chinese copy Europeans so much?” If the Chinese were a people of rote imitators and copiers, why don’t we see fake cities based off of Mumbai, Sao Paolo, or Lagos? As far as I know, Western European cultures have long been considered refined, luxurious, high-class. They represent an ideal for the status-seeking Chinese, who are clearly the target of these ballsy property developers. They copy because they want to be lathered in “European-ness.”
Ultimately, the copiers of this fake Austrian town aren’t copying because they lack creativity. They’re doing it because they ARE creative. Who else would think to send a group of incognito architects to scope out a mountainous Austrian town for the sole purpose of re-creating it thousands of miles away in a foreign land? That’s pretty innovative to me, and shows that some of these brains still do have some room to think outside of the box.
- Anyone interested in a small freelance writing job covering one of SH's hot new restaurants? DM me for more info. #
- @Jane_Paris Now it's my turn to wish you happy birthday! Let's celebrate together tomorrow night! #
- Love my wife and parents! @ Mr & Mrs Bund http://t.co/Raip37rf #
- Lamb cutlet with truffles. Sick. @ Mr & Mrs Bund http://t.co/8hsDfTUK #
- Surprise birthday dinner at Mr. and Mrs. Bund. Just finished this steak tartare appetizer. @ Mr & Mrs Bund http://t.co/OH0WdiAD #
- @Jane_Paris Hey we just booked a room at Haoledi (KTV) next to Xintiandi for 9 pm. We can start there. You in? #
- At the dentist now. Annoyed they didn't put out candy and cigarettes on the waiting area, how am I supposed to relax? #
- 真没用的伞。The most useless umbrella ever. http://t.co/qu41pBsl #
- Been here 9 years and this is mu first meal ever at Shintori! @ Shintori 新都里无二 http://t.co/N0JEieuG #
- The New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TV Series Trailer http://t.co/vDDJsmZ0 #
- Watching "American Reunion" last week reminded me of how little taste I had back in college and how little I have now. #
- Wassup, dawg http://t.co/thoKw9KF #